Growing up in California I remember wishing that it would snow every year around this time. On movies and all the Christmas cards they make that white stuff look so magical. It may be that way, when you are sitting inside your warm house looking at it as it's freshly fallen, totally untouched, but it doesn't stay that way. It gets dirty, slushy and icy, and causes way too many problems especially in the vehicle category...case in point:
Sunday we had church in the early afternoon. It had been snowing that morning and the snow was continuing to fall. The roads had yet to be plowed, but we got in our car and ventured to our ward building to attend church. After driving fairly slow to get there and just crossing our fingers good ol' putt putt would make it up the hill so we could turn into the parking lot (which also was not plowed), she did and we found a spot and headed in. In Salt Lake they do something different from what I have ever experienced with church, for some reason they do sacrament meeting last.
So our building is prob almost a hundred years old. Its four stories, but in a split level way. I am in primary, so those rooms are on the bottom floor right inside the doors that you come in from the parking lot. I was in charge of taking pictures of the kids for a Christmas thing we are doing for them, so I was going in and out of the rooms getting them for their photos. As I am going in and out I see another member of the primary presidency with this super stressed out lady. I hear them talking about cars. Then they ask me if I know who drives a blue Saturn. I said, "I do, why?" Immediately I am thinking, "Oh great, the lights got left on and we are going to have a dead battery in this nasty weather." Then before I can say anything the lady says frantically "Your car has slid into mine!" What the... I am freaking out on the inside, it's taking everything in me to not just start bawling. I tell her I have to go find my husband, that I am from CA and am absolutely clueless when it comes to weather like this, so he'll know what to do. I am running through the halls through all the stories to try to find where Jake might be. I finally find him and tell him and he rushes down to the parking lot.
I still have to finish my duties in primary, so I am trying to look out the glass doors to see what exactly happened, I can't see my car at all, so from that and how the lady was freaking out I am thinking the worst that my car had slid across the parking lot (which is kind of on a slope) into her car and totally bashed it in.
I hear them talking about the cars being pinned together and they don't know how they are going to get them apart. Ok, like I am not freaking out enough inside...I keep myself busy with the kids but every time I walk out into the hall to get another one, this lady is just pacing, and freaking out in a passive aggressive way which is just stressing me out to the max!!!
Anyway they end up getting the cars apart and then I ask Jake what the heck happened (now nobody is around, so if I lose it I won't feel totally like an idiot). I guess their jeep was parked to the right of our car, and our car slid sideways into theirs. Like our passengers side into their drivers side...HOW DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN??? Fortunately the damage was minimal, our passengers mirror was a little bent, and after they took their car home and washed it etc, they said their may be a small dent and a little scratch as well.
If I was in the car doing something reckless, I would feel stupid but at least know...oops I did that. To have your car slide in the parking lot with nobody in it, with the emergency break on and everything...It is totally unnerving I tell you!!!
Gotta love the snow...I know I am more and more everyday (did I maybe lay the sarcasm on a little thick there???) Well this experience has made my fear of driving in the snow stronger that ever. Like I wasn't scared enough to get in an accident driving, but lo and behold with snow you don't even have to be in your car to get in a fender bender. Well it just looks like I am going to be a shut-in anytime there is a trace of that yucky white stuff on the roads!!!
Green Christmas how i miss you so...






2 comments:
Wow. That is crazy! Sorry you had to deal with that. But I must confess, I did laugh a little. Crazy things happen when the snowy winter comes.
That is a pretty hilarious story, I'm glad not much damage was done. You'd like Texas. They shut everything down if they even get a hint of flurries (like they did last week)! I was at work when it started snowing and freaked out and ran home and I was left there thinking, "Are you kidding me...this isn't snow!"
Post a Comment