Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Day of Rest

Sunday is supposed to be a restful day, but when you have a 16 month old its just the opposite. Keeping him on my lap for a 3 hour block of church, with Sacrament meeting being the last hour (torture I tell you) takes all the energy I have. Due to Jake and I getting some callings in the ward where it would be kinda hard to do them and keep the little guy at bay, we were able to start Carder in nursery. Not gonna lie nursery has kind of freaked me out in the past, I've always thought of it as a little person cesspool, who knows what your child could come home with...but the past few months I have been counting down the days til he could start. Carder did great, as soon as he saw a Barney puzzle laying on the table he was out of my arms ready to play. Jake even did the pop in to check on him and Carder just looked up at him and then went right back to playing. Hopefully he continues to be a good nursery attendee (as well as disease free).

So Jake and I got real grown up callings. In the past we have always been something together (ward missionaries, activities, cub scout leaders), but within just a couple weeks of being in the ward I got called as primary secretary and Jake as Priest Quorum advisor. It's so weird, because even though I am married and have a child its still hard to consider myself a grown up (maybe the fact that we are still living the "student" life is a contributor). Its been good though because it has really made us get involved in our new ward which has been hard since we haven't been in anyone place for very long.

We picked Carder up from nursery, and he sat on our laps during Sacrament meeting with minimal struggle, and then after took a sweet nap. After that we went to enjoy what I am sure is to be one of the last nice weekends of the year at a BBQ at Jake's grandparents house. The kids got to pick out pumpkins from the garden and had a blast running through the cornstalks. Finally a Sunday that lived up to its name!
Carder picking out his pumpkin
Grandpa Apostol, Carder & Jake
Thinking he is Baby Bam Bam and can pick up the pumpkin

Carder with his cousins
Cheese :)
playing in the cornstalks

2 comments:

McKay said...

Ah Sundays...I just read a hilarious quote about Sabbath activities.

Primary teacher to 4-year-old class: What does your family do after church to keep the Sabbath day Holy? Child: My mom and dad go in their room and have a “special” nap.

Unknown said...

Ok, cutest thing EVER! I love that Jake's grandparents grow pumpkins for the kids to pick! And I know what you mean about grown up callings. I'm the Enrichment leader (and in the library)and Ryan is the first counselor in Elder's quorum. How did that happen?