I had mixed feelings about having to have a C section with this second baby, but the nice thing about it was being able to know when the baby was coming because it was all scheduled. The past few weeks I had been suffering from pre-term labor symptoms. The doctor let me come off bed rest the week of Carder's birthday and pretty much as soon as I did that the contractions started coming on pretty regularly. I had to go into the labor and delivery triage several times, and this week alone I was in there twice. Sunday I went to church and made it through the first half, but was having contractions really close together, so I went in. They monitored me and the contractions were coming every 5 to 7 mins, but my cervix wasn't changing at all. My doctor wasn't on call that weekend, so the Doctor that was sent me home and told me to try and take it easy and take a hot bath etc. to try and make the contractions go away. Monday was memorial day so Jake and I tried to get everything ready around the house in case the baby was to come early. On Tuesday I got a prenatal massage (Jake's birthday present to me) and I was hoping that it would trigger something that would kick my body into active labor so I wouldn't continue to be tortured by the continuous contractions. That night I was in triage again, but of course as soon as I get all hooked up to the monitor the contractions let up and I was still just dilated to a one, so the nurse was convinced I was dehydrated and so they IV'd me and gave me two bags of fluid through an IV. On my way home I started having horrible contractions again (the ones where its hard to breathe, but after having spent pretty much the whole evening at the hospital I did not want to go back unless my water was broken!) Wednesday was Jake's birthday and then I had my next Doctors appointment Thursday, so I was just focusing on making it until then and hopefully he'd give me something to relieve the discomfort so I could make it until the 16th.
My doctors appointment was at 11:15am on Thursday. I had still been contracting pretty regularly -- anything from annoying cramps to ones where it made it hard to talk/breath and made me feel like all I wanted to do was push. The doctor asked me how I was feeling and empathized with my situation. After checking me he told me I was at a 3 and that my cervix was getting pretty soft. He then told me that he was going to send me over to Labor and Delivery to stay. He then proceeded to tell me that we were going to shoot for doing the C Section at 12:30...with all the contracting I'd been doing he didn't want to take the chance of me going any longer and walking in at an 8. Anyway, I called Jake to tell him to come down to the hospital (which was right behind my Doctors office), then I called my Mom and told her that they were delivering me in about an hour. She packed her car and hurried on her way up here. I drove around the corner to the hospital and checked myself into Labor and Delivery. It was a little crazy because everything was happening so quickly. Prior to my appointment I had prayed that I'd either be relieved of the discomfort of the contractions or if everything would be Ok that this baby would just come, so I guess it was answer to my prayer even though it was all happening so quickly. They got me in a bed and 3 nurses surrounded me to try and prep me for the surgery. One nurse was setting up my IV, while another was getting all the hardware on me and the third was doing all the paperwork and having me sign everything.
Jake got there a few minutes later, and then we were off to the operating room. It was a lot different of an experience than the one I'd had with Carder. I was a lot more alert this time and was actually aware of what was going on. The doctor asked me if I was ready and then I felt a tug and then heard the baby crying. The C section was really slick. He finished and had me all sewn up within 45 mins. Jake got to cut the cord and then after checking the vitals they brought the baby over to my face so I could see her and give her a kiss.
Jake and the baby went to the nursery while they finished sewing me up. I still had the shakes after but not as bad as I did with Carder (it was a couple hours before I was able to hold him), whereas with Brenn I was able to hold/nurse her as soon as they finished up in the nursery. Initially they gave us the birth weight of 5 lbs 11 oz, but I guess the scale was off because later that night the nurse weighed her and she was 6 lbs 9 oz (and it was rechecked on a second scale, so that was the more accurate birth weight) and she was measured at 18 1/4 inches long. We named her Brenn Lauren Lloyd. She is an amazing sleeper (I guess any baby who sleeps more than 30 mins would earn that title), and just the sweetest little girl in the world. We are totally in love with our little baby B!
DAY 1
 |
| Jake cutting the cord |
 |
| Me getting to meet little miss B |
 |
| Right after labor getting to hold her for the first time |
 |
| Carder was at my Aunt Kimi's for my appointment...they brought him later that evening but he fell asleep on the car ride over |
  |
| Once he woke up he loved pulling his stool up to her little bed and checking her out |
 |
| He loved kissing her cheeks |
 |
| Jake, Brenn & Carder |
 |
| Uncle Jaxon with Brenn |
 |
| My Mom and Jaxon arrived at the hospital just a few minutes after the Rapps and Carder got there that evening |
These boys love each other so much
 |
| Brenn and Lexi |
 |
| Jake, Brenn & Jared |
 |
| Daddy and his baby girl |
 |
| Dad on diaper duty...Jake has been such a superstar helping me out with EVERYTHING since I can't do too much with the C seciton |
DAY 2
Most of the day Jake and I just got to rest and bond with our new little lady. Later that day my Mom brought Carder over to visit us (it was hard for him to stay at the hospital too long since there wasn't much to do).
 |
| Carder just loved his new baby sister |
 |
| Me with my kiddos |
 |
| Our little family |
 |
| Jake took the boys to the play place at Burger King for some boy time and then they got to make a special stop at the hospital vending machine where Carder got to put in his own dollar bill and get a treat...he thought that was pretty cool |
DAY 3
They let us go home Saturday afternoon, which I was so grateful for because I was ready to just be home with Carder and be out of that hospital bed!
 |
| Brenn in her going home outfit (its the same one I brought Carder home from the hospital in minus the bow) |
Once we got home we gave Carder a little present that we told him was from his sister Brenn. It was a doctors kit, he was quite excited about it and went in his dress up drawer and put on one of his Drs costumes (which didn't really fit so well...he totally reminded me of Todd from SCRUBS...it was hilarious). He gave the new baby and me a check up and then let me know how much he loved his new baby sister and how she gives him the best presents.
6 comments:
Congratulations!! What an experience. I'm glad that everything turned out well. Brenn is beautiful!
congrats Holli and to your cute family! she's a doll!! I'm glad you are able to enjoy every moment now instead of all that crummy bedrest/contraction stuff:)
Wow....She is truly soooo beautiful. I know everyone says all babies are beautiful, but she REALLY is. But I would expect no less from the likes of Jake and Holli. I am glad things went so smoothly, and I can't wait to meet her.
Loved the post. Brenn is adorable. Give her a hug and a kiss from our little family. Good luck with healing Holli.
Holli she is GORGEOUS! Congrats to your cute little family. Hope you have a speedy recovery.
ps. I will have her headbands soon :)
She is just beautiful.....Great pics.....Can't wait to see her in person.....As you know this is my favorite time.....They want to be held and I want to hold......Give her and Carder a kiss from us....Tell Jake he did a good job for his part. Love and Hugs to All Grandma Karen
Post a Comment