Monday, January 28, 2008

A Few of My Favorite Things...




The old Julie Andrews song reminded you of the little things that you hold dear in life...once upon a time I looked forward to eating and sleeping...with this pregnancy my favorite things have been stripped from me! The days where I could sleep like a log until noon are but a distant memory. Now, I get to toss and turn while trying to position every pillow I own strategically around my body to try and find just a few seconds of comfort, this occurrence must be set on loop since it happens about twenty different times during the night, I don't know the last time I woke up refreshed...I asked my doctor how I could possibly better this situation, he just laughed and told me it was natures way of getting me ready for what was to come (oh sleep dear friend come back to me soon)...and actually being able to enjoy a meal, oh those were the days (isn't food supposed to be your friend when you are pregnant? cravings please kick in and soon!) And now I guess the next magical symptom I have to look forward to is feeling this baby kick inside me. I have read some soon-to-be-mothers accounts of how its this great bonding experience, but after talking to my doctor today it seems like it will be more like the bonding you do with the kid who is kicking the back of your seat in an airplane (yeah I wouldn't mind passing on that one). But supposedly all these ailments magically dissipate as soon as that little one comes into your life, I'm just over halfway and since Jake and I didn't even know about our little surprise for the first six or seven weeks, I see this next half being a long 19/20 more weeks (with my luck it'll be longer than that)...but women seem to do this time and time again, so the magical veil of forgetting the horrors of pregnancy must be real, or that so called bundle of joy just must be really worth it.

7 comments:

Allie said...

Oh man Holli I know that it hasn't been the greatest past few months for you and I feel bad. And I know I am not prego and never have been but I know for sure you are going to love the little angel SOOO much once he is here. And believe it or not I bet you will forget how terrible the pregnancy ever was! It for sure will be so worth it! I can't even believe how much I love caleb and Jaynie and how much I'm going to love your little boy and I'm sure you will only love him more because you are his mom. I'm so excited to see him! He is going to be so darling and I guarantee you will think in the not too distant future that he is the best thing that ever happened to your life!

Brit n' Ryan said...

Holli, Holli, Holli...you know I know your pain. I know it sucks! The crazy part is when you actually have the baby and think of how easy it was just to have it tucked away inside of you instead of screaming, not sleeping (the list goes on) but as you've heard a billion times, it actually is worth it! Are you still waiting to feel him kick? That's a good thing if I read that right, I felt Skylee kick at like 13 weeks and she is a SERIOUS kicker STILL, no joke. So maybe it's an indicator of a sweet little dude on the way :) Well you know I love you! Good luck and thanks for calling me on my b-day!

Scott & Annie said...

Holli,
The best post-partum experience is sleeping comfortably. Yes, I know you won't be getting lots of it, but the sleep you do get will be quality because all of the sudden you can sprawl out and be comfortable. Alot of things don't change immediately after you have the baby like your body, etc., but the first night you are home, when you do actually lay down, you will be like "YES! I CAN GET COMFORTABLE!" I always tell people this when they say they can't sleep.

Todd Lloyd said...

I have no comment on the subject. But I think you're doing great!

jackie watkins said...

i love you and think that you were definitely worth all the discomforts that you caused me -- we are all going to love your little angel!!

Jamie said...

i'm sorry you are having a tough time girlie...hang in there...i promise it is so worth it!

Todd Lloyd said...

Dear Holli, This is Georgann writing from Todd's address because for some reason mine is not working...Anyway, I'm proud of you. Hang in there. Take it from the grateful mother of 6 - it is very worth it.