It all started about a few months ago when he let me know that the judge had encouraged him to think about pursuing tax law. Jake researched it (because thats what Jake does, he researches everything) and finds out that the deadlines for all but two of the schools that he would consider going to were open for just one or two more weeks to be admitted for this upcoming school year. He applied to 5 schools just to keep that door open, but it didn't really seem like it was something to be considered too seriously. Anyway he was admitted to all 5 schools including Florida, which is the number 2 program in the nation (just a little brag blurb for that awesome accomplishment).
By this time some deadlines were starting to come where he had to let some of the options know whether or not he would be accepting their offers or not. We felt super confused as to what we should do. It seemed like every time we would discard the idea of the LL.M. something would happen (like a law school professor emailing him out of the blue about it, the judge coming back from a conference that made him advise it again, or a scholarship being awarded, etc.) that would make the option be reconsidered. I was at my breaking point with the stress of not knowing what in the heck was going on and with the ideas of our family's future changing almost daily.
We had been praying about it and still felt unsure. So we took a weekend and went to the temple and fasted. I had the strongest feeling while we were in the temple that I needed to be supportive and do whatever Jake felt our family needed to do. There were some things said in a prayer there that I felt like my Heavenly Father was talking directly to me and was so aware of me and the stuggles/stresses I had been experiencing. It was such a blessing to know with a surety how aware He was of me and my situation and of His love He has for me and my family.
The next day we fasted about it. I talked to Jake later that afternoon as he was making a pros and cons list of the different options we were considering. I told him he needed to just make a decision and take it to the Lord. He went into the other room for awhile and came out and told me that he had gone in thinking he was going to take one of the job options (because I mean come on we had gone through our undergrad and then 3 years of law school, did more schooling really make sense?!? We have two kids, paying money to do work rather then getting paid to work didn't really make sense). But when he brought that option to the table he said he just felt empty inside. So he did what he says he feared most and prayed about the LL.M. Well, he came out and let me know that we were going to be moving to Boston.
This decision was made the last Sunday of July. Classes begin the first week of September, which means we would be leaving the end of August. So I had a little more then 3 1/2 weeks to prepare for a move across the country...BAH!!! There have been a lot of thought, prayers and tears (mostly on my part) that have gone into this decision. Though monetarily/logically it doesn't completely make sense, for some reason this what we feel that we are supposed to do and we just need to have the faith that everything is going to work out.
The LL.M. is a Masters in Law. Jake will be pursuing his Masters in Tax Law at Boston University starting this fall. It is only a 9-month program, so that time frame along with the fact that my sister Brittany and her family are out there (her husband is at Harvard Law) have really helped me wrap my head around the whole situation and look at it as an exciting adventure rather than focusing on the stressfulness that comes with the packing up our house and moving across the country in a few weeks, and the dread of more schooling.
The day after we decided to go out to Boston we put our second car up for sale and it sold within 12 hours of being posted--for our asking price. We were also able to get our house rented in just a couple days since our contract wouldn't be up by the time we left, so we have been looking at those things as confirmations that this must really be what we are supposed to do.
So here we go into crazy packing mode to get ready for our move. We will leave the 25th of this month (which also happens to be our 6th anniversary) it is rather fitting seeing that this will be our 9th move since we have been married. So I guess I will need to make sure I have all my pantyhose and pearls packed (because you know that's what all the Moms on the East Coast wear to take their kids to school), because its Boston or Bust!








4 comments:
Wow- that will be quite the move! But a fun adventure for you guys. My sister lived in Boston for a while and she really liked it.
I hope the packing goes well. Nate and I were just talking the other night about how we've moved 9 times in 10 years, but you beat us out with 9 times in just 6 years!! I thought I was sick of moving! Good luck with everything. :)
holli!
I am so excited that you will be joining us in the east! I promise its not that bad. NINE months will go by so so fast! So enjoy it for sure! Call me if you need any tips on traveling! Its very long and at times you want to just cry! Bring something to watch movies on. And bring some of your favorite tunes. :) I know how you feel about packing! AH its a headache! But I know you will do great! We are praying for you guys. Love ya.
Well I am only seeing this a month late. Way to go! That must have been a horrible couple of weeks. Packing with kids stinks, but hey at least most of your stuff will be pack up this next time around. We were hoping to catch up with you guys this November, but I am guessing that is going to be pretty hard. Oh well. It is what it is. You guys are going to have a blast like you always do. Tell Jake Hi for us. Take care.
Exactly two months since you have posted anything :( Hasn't anything exciting happened? Don't you have any stories or pics to share? We would all love to see you blog more regularly again. xoxoxo
Post a Comment